6122 Days…

That is how many days I have waited, looked forward to, and thought yesterday would never come. I still clearly remember my very first day of school. I entered the 1st grade at Riemerling Grundschule in the outskirts of Munich, Germany on September 11th, 1990 at the ripe young age of 6 years old. Every single day for 6122 days between now and yesterday, I looked forward to that day, in which I could finally say I am done. 6122 days of dreading the grueling torture that is school.

I have struggled through math class, learned to write perfect handwriting with an ink fountain pen, learned, forgot, and re-learned the rules of grammar in English and mastered the German language, as well as gained a solid grasp on the basics and fundamentals of the Russian language, made and lost many good friends, moved many times and attended 8 different schools between 1st and 12th grade, attended college for 6 years, at two separate colleges through 5 different majors, accumulated over 300 college credits and finally, finally walked across the stage yesterday as a diploma was handed to me in front of my father, mother, stepfather, uncle, grandmother, some very close friends, and most importantly, my girlfriend, Karen, who has conquered my heart. Indeed yesterday can count to one of the greatest days of my life. No longer will I be dreading class tomorrow or the essay due next week. I have finally achieved a status in my life that I have been longing for for 6122 days. What comes next?

Tomorrow morning I will leave what has been my home for the past 11 years and embrace what has been my home for many years before that. I will be flying into Munich after a long flight and jump right into work. I am overwhelmed with sadness and joy at the same time. Joy for finally finishing something of significance in my life. Joy for going back to my favorite place on earth, for getting to see my little sister, and my brother and some close friends. Sadness for leaving behind my mom and some other close friends, and most importantly, my girlfriend, with whom I have fallen in love with.

It has definitely been an adventure, and for the first time in 6122 days I feel that I am truly free and the world is just another adventure waiting to be explored. There is nothing holding me back from pursuing my dreams and my future. I have succeeded. I have graduated. I am done. I am now Alumni. However, if the University thinks I am going to join their Alumni Association and give them even more money, they are definitely mistaken. I am already in the possession of the most expensive piece of paper I have ever seen, I don’t need another. 😉

KarenJune 18th, 2007 at 15:13

Did you know that between 1st and 12th grade I went to 6 different schools? I want you to know that I have fallen in love with you also. You are very important in my life and I am glad we were able to share our graduations together. I hope that we will be able to share many more memorable moments together. I LOVE YOU!
-(Jabba’s girlfriend, Karen)-

Jean PierreJune 18th, 2007 at 19:38

Hey Justin!

Congrats to your academic degree! You can be very proud of yourself, I’m sure all your family members and your friends are too!

You will spend a great time in Munich and there are a lot of opportunities for native english (elem. school) teachers :-p I hope that everything works out for both of you. Let me know if you need help, I’ll keep my ears open (can I say that in English?) when I’m back later this year.

All the best,

Jean Pierre

PeterJune 19th, 2007 at 00:20

Lieber Jabba,

Congrats man. I can’t think of anyone who deserves that diploma more than you and I’m glad everything has finally worked out for you. Your diligence, tenacity, and cromulence has certainly embiggened your character and definitely paid off. Your next hurdle? Student loans. God Bless America.

Peter

EvensonJune 19th, 2007 at 00:26

Maßclub loves you as well

We’ll eat some Leberkäs when you get here too

FredJune 19th, 2007 at 00:32

Congrats, Grad! You kick ass!

I am sad I wasn’t there to share your graduation day with you.

But I’m excited to have you here in Germany! Make sure to give me a call when you arrived well!

FredJune 19th, 2007 at 07:00

Peter: Thank you for throwing so many fun words into one sentence. Gladly, I know what diligence and tenacity are — yet, you got me on “cromulence”.

Luckily Google helped me find out that you are citing the Simpsons here :)

PeterJune 19th, 2007 at 11:20

Fred:

Well done sir! My hat is off to you. Siigghhh if only more Germans were like you. Man, those Germans really blew hard this year. It makes me want to scared to come back over. However fortunately i have reminders like you and Dieter from Sprockets. I’ll see you all in SEPTEMBER!

MuddaJune 19th, 2007 at 15:14

Bye, Jabba. I miss you already. Word is out about our beer, you may be getting some offers from Deschutes Brewery soon. Watch out for Germans trying to steal our recipe. Black Jack Flo sends greetings as well.

EvensonJune 20th, 2007 at 01:18

@Peter – You won’t be seeing EVERYONE in September.

@Fred – I wonder how they translated those words into German. kromulent? die Kromulanz? verbiggen? bebiggen?

EvensonJune 20th, 2007 at 01:24

well, with a bit of searching I found it…not all that impressive I must say.

Die Schüler schauen sie in der Aula einen Film über Jebediah Springfield an.

Jebediah (im Film) : Tapferkeit und Edelmut vergrandet auch den kleinsten Wicht zum Helden.

Edna: Vergrandet? Bevor ich nach Springfield gezogen bin, habe ich das noch nie gehört.

Miss Hoover: Ich weiss nicht, ich finde das sehr allumpassend.

KarenJune 22nd, 2007 at 18:17

Zach, there are some of us who don’t know German very well… ok, well only one of us. :( I am learning though.

FredJune 22nd, 2007 at 23:24

Karen: That’s the transcript of the “cromulent” scene in the Simpsons (see: http://youtube.com/watch?v=urlx-BLsD1c). They translated “embiggen” as “vergranden” and “cromulent” as “allumpassend” (both nonexistant German words). Which is –hm– not sooo impressive a translation.