Oktoberfest

In order to get a seat at one of the beer tents at Oktoberfest, one needs to get up pretty early in the morning. So after the night train from Prague, we made a quick pit stop at my dad’s house, to take showers and change clothes, etc. By 9 a.m., we were standing in front of the biggest beer festival in the world. I met some good friends at the designated meeting spot in front of one of the beer tents, and by 9:30, we had found one of the last remaining empty tables. It didn’t take long for that place to fill up. Some of the folks we were with, are from Baden-Württemberg, so we had to teach them how to properly hold the 1-liter beer mug. I guess Bavarians do things a little different. We all had a great time. Five hours, three liters of beer, and a half a chicken later, we decided to catch some fresh air, and go see some other parts of Munich. I took my friends to the Augustiner Keller Biergarten, where we had coffee and cake. It was a good day.

Something interesting to note about the Oktoberfest: Sitting in a beer tent with literally 10,000 other people, who are all drinking the same brand of beer and squished together on uncomfortable wooden benches, one really feels a connection to his fellow man. It is an amazing phenomenon to see so many different kinds of people all sitting together, drinking together, singing together, and just getting along. These same people could be enemies the rest of the year, but all differences get put aside, and everyone just has a good time together. On rare occasion, I’ve seen a “bar fight” almost break out, but usually a simple raising of the glass and a loud “Prost!” resolves all differences. That is a beautiful thing.

Kim And JamesSeptember 18th, 2006 at 12:55

PROST!

To all the problems in the world.

ZachSeptember 18th, 2006 at 13:21

I went to the Mt. Angel Oktoberfest. Lame by comparison. What I completely love about any American event, is the preponderance of people with flashing LEDs, glow sticks and pacifiers. Oh, excuse me sir, is that an authentic Bavarian glow stick?

MuddaSeptember 18th, 2006 at 15:03

Yes, PROST!

We really had a great time last year, where else can you see a nun with 5 o’clock shadow holding a cigar in one hand and a liter of beer in the other? Another favorite was a pirate complete with a parrot on his shoulder. Good fun! I agree with Zach the American version is just not the same.

Jean PierreSeptember 18th, 2006 at 17:20

On my flight I have read in the Continental in-flight magazine that there was a so-called Zinzinnati Oktoberfest that “showcases the rich German heritage of Southwestern Ohio, as well as tasty samples of German-style music, food and beer.”

Unfortunately it’s already over. So see you next year there :-)

JabbaSeptember 18th, 2006 at 21:44

Of course!! The Zinzinnati thing looks awesome! They even have Budweiser there! It’s too bad it’s over, since my return flight includes a layover in Cincinnati. :)

TrabbaSeptember 24th, 2006 at 02:01

Buying smokes and cigars off the Cigarette Girl, pissing in a troph, the Dirndl, Lederhosen. So next year auf geht´s!!

RolfSeptember 25th, 2006 at 12:41

I finally made it to the Oktoberfest, too. We arrieved at 6.30 pm in the Pschorr tent and got the last free table in a corner. Man, I can’t remember when I was last trunk like that. I’m still suffering from kissing the pavement that night. Proscht!